Wednesday, October 24, 2012

10/24- Mapping Literacy Underlives

On Tuesday we were assigned to go to a place on campus were acts of literacy occurred. We were supposed to take notes about the place we chose with details of what we noticed, and eventually draw a map of the setting we picked. I chose to go observe the Atkins Library. Here's the map that I came up with:

I stayed on the first floor of the library while I was inside. When I walked in, some of the first things that stood out to me was the large map of the entire building right inside the front door, and all of the artwork on the walls. Near the front doors were tables that fit about four people. I saw some groups of students studying and working on assignments together. I also saw some people at the tables doing their own work by themselves, most of them focused and wearing headphones. As I walked farther towards the back of the first floor, I got to the quiet area. There was a lot of traffic coming in and out of the library at the time, and I noticed that some noise could be heard in the quiet area. I saw several frustrated looks at this, and even heard some complaints about it. Of course people with headphones in weren't bothered by this, which made me think of how listening to music can help some people, including myself, focus easier and get work done more efficiently.


1 comment:

  1. Dillion I really liked how you made me feel like I was right there with you experiencing the same things you were. It's like you walked the viewer through everything that was going on. I also like how at the end you turned it around and reflected about music and how it helps you to concentrate sometimes. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete