Monday, September 3, 2012

Reflexive Blog 1- End of Publishing


8/30/12
Reflexive blog post 1

Earlier this week we watched a video called End of Publishing for our writing into the day.  We begin class by watching a video or clip or by reading something to just us started with writing anything that comes to mind.



I chose this entry in my daybook to write about because usually, it takes me a while to think before I start writing but after watching this video I was able to respond to it pretty quickly. It's an idea that I felt like I could expand on easily.

This video began with lines of a poem scrolling down the page being read aloud.  Poem begins: "This is the end of publishing and books are dead and boring."  The speaker is a girl who goes on to explain how her friends and her don't like to read and how books are boring.  She mentions that what's important to her is what Lady Gaga is wearing; and not what Gandhi did last century.  She finishes with a the point that the publishing market is dying.

At the end of the poem, the speaker says, "unless you reverse how you see me",  and the poem begins to scroll backwards.  The poem is read word for word in reverse, and the speaker argues the opposite point clearly.

I thought it was interesting how the writer had the ability to piece the poem together so it could flow regularly and both directions and clearly argue a point.  After seeing the video the first time and knowing that the poem plays in reverse, I couldn't ignore the fact that each line would be read in the other direction. This distracted me every time I went back to watch the video after the first time.

As far as the point being argued, I think the writer captured the attitude of a person in this generation who isn't interested in writing pretty accurately.  I can see where the first speaker is coming from with thoughts about the publishing industry shrinking, but her negative attitude causes me to disagree with the points she is making in a way.

I think that the publishing industry is obviously getting less attention than it has in the past, especially from our generation.  I don't necessarily think the industry is dying, however.  People like the second speaker of this poem who enjoy learning and reading books inspire others who feel the same way that they do.  The people who were commenting on the video were even talking about how it inspired them and restored their hope in humanity. 

1 comment:

  1. The way this video and text was written is just really cool. I'd like to try to write something that worked like this sometime.

    About publishing: I have been thinking about how publishing is maybe changing more than dieing. Like blogging is publishing but in a different way... one that might or might not be to the benefit of old school publishing companies... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete