Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Writing Timeline-(Reflexive Blog 2)

Here's a link to assignment we had earlier this week.  The instructions were to put together a timeline of events in our lives that formed us as the writers we are today. I decided to put my timeline together with a website that made it pretty easy to display a bunch of events nicely.  Here's what I came up with after thinking back over my life as a writer:


http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/56985/Writing-Timeline/#!date=2010-06-23_13:04:22!

I've never considered myself too much of a writer and I honestly still don't, but making this timeline helped me realize a few things about my own writing.  If you looked through the timeline, you probably noticed a bunch of the events I included were writing tests. I don't think the tests changed me as a writer, I just noticed that I hate that kind of writing assignment. I can't write when I know I have a short time limit for some reason.  I have to give myself a lot of time to think before I write, and knowing that I had to be done in 25 minutes on the SAT writing test slowed me down some. But I did end up doing much better than I thought, somehow.

Getting started with my writing is what takes me the longest and I've always been a slow writer.  Even now I'm sitting down trying to finish this blog entry that I've had up on my computer for hours while doing everything I can think of other than finishing it.

You will also notice that I posted about a research paper that I had to write during my junior year of high school. We spent a couple months on that, and it at least kept me interested the whole time.  I liked writing about my own research instead of having to make things up.  I find it much easier to write about my own findings or at least writing in the form of a research paper (preferably on a topic I already know something about).

After looking through the events I wrote down before making my timeline, I didn't really notice an event that had too much of an impact on my life as a writer. I've never been too interested in writing but hopefully I can learn to have an easier time writing any kind of assignment with some of the things we're planning to do in this class over the next couple of months.

2 comments:

  1. By talking through even your writing of this blog post you are really describing and reflecting on your writing process. I am a pretty huge writer-procrastinator, too. I will check my email 100 times, click on every other thing I can manage, remember suddenly that I should do the dishes, plan next's week's class, whatever before I will open a blank screen. Daybook writing is one thing that helps me out of that blank screen freeze.

    Love your tiki toki timeline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Love your tiki toki timeline!" (Lacy Manship)
    I completely agree with her. The Tiki toki timeline is a very catchy name, I have never considered myself to be a good writer but apparently I have made it this far haven't I? I am very impressed with this blog post because it just goes to show you that even when you're "not a good writer" you can still write the truth and it doesn't take much to express this. thank you for the wonderful blog post I look forward to more

    ReplyDelete