Sunday, September 23, 2012

Reflexive Blog 4- WID 9/18

For our writing into the day on Tuesday we watched a video where a classroom of kids were given 10 seconds to complete a drawing. The drawings were collected and everyone in the class had drawn a clock, as the unfinished drawing led them to. The kids were later given 10 minutes to complete the same drawing.  Needless to say when they were collected for the second time, the drawings were much more elaborate. The end of the video showed a message that said something along the lines of creativity not being helped by the pressure of time, but by the freedom of playfulness.


I felt like I could connect with the message that this video was trying to get across. When I feel pressured to write something, like if I have an assignment that's due the next day(or now... too much to do this week), it's hard for me to think creatively and really think about all the ideas that I have about something. I think that when someone is given time to freely think about anything, they give themselves the time to actually register every idea that they come up with, and not turn down a thought that they're unsure of at first. They won't be frustrated about the completion of the assignment at the time, but considering all possibilities that they imagine.
It's a useful tactic not just in writing, but in just about anything. People would be amazed at some things they are capable of, given enough time and a relaxed mindset. I try to avoid feeling pressured when it comes to schoolwork by spacing out my assignments and allowing as much time as I can for each.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgvx9OfZKJw&feature=player_embedded

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you Dillon, I feel the same way when it comes to writing assignments, I like having a decent amount of time to do them and I really don't like writing papers in class or anything because I always feel pressured to just put something on the paper. I really like how you explained what was on the video and then related it to yourself. I found myself sympathizing with you and realizing that I feel the same way a lot the times. Good Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your excerpt, but what raised the question to me was that after 10 minutes the "clocks" didn't look like clocks to me, they just looked like what ever they wanted them to look like. I know they are little kids and creativity is the key in letting them make their own choices, but yes there is such a thing as too much freedom. I ask you to inquire about what would happen if the world had too much freedom. If you have any response or if you think of anything you can just post it on my blog please and thank you. I look forward to hearing from you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you are both naming the institutional (school) constraints of time and talking about the ways you try to take that pressure off of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I def agree with the points you made in this blog post. It was cool to see you relate it to yourself because then it is better understood for yourself and the reader of this blog. I think it is much easier to do things spread out so that you arent under immense pressure of getting it done. And I liked what you said about having more time allows someone to think throughly rather than shooting down an idea that they're in doubt over. Enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with so many of the things you've said! I think that time is the biggest constraint to creativity. Just think of all the times you've might of been bored in class or something and you just begin to doodle. Think of how elaborative those images were. That's your true creativity without the constraint of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your view on this topic. I agree with having so much to do you just do it to get it over with instead of putting time and effort into things. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete