Sunday, September 30, 2012

Reflexive Blog 5- 9/30

For homework last weekend we had to read and respond to "Two Questions" by Lynda Barry. It was a strange writing that was set up almost like a comic. Here's the daybook entry where I started my response: 




The "Two Questions" that the title of this piece came from referred to the first panel, showing a writer at her desk asking herself "Is this good?" and "Does this suck?". She goes on to explain how into her writing career, these became the only two questions she could ask herself about her work.

In my daybook I mentioned how I really felt like I could connect with that feeling. I often notice that I'm questioning myself about my writing too much. I think when someone is writing  for someone else, like an assignment for school, or a test, or anything that would be graded, they can be hesitant to write what feels natural. I find this to be especially true for myself when doing an assignment that I'm not completely clear about or that I've never done before.

Knowing that feeling made me really understand the idea of questioning your own work too much. It can be frustrating when you know what you're trying to say, but you feeling like you have word or explain something differently than you normally would to connect to your audience. I've found the most effective way for me to get over that feeling is to just write the way that feels natural to myself. I try not to second guess myself too often, but it's important to still be open to suggestions about your writing and try out any advice that you may find helpful.


https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwM_mqgmQbT3NjNYZ1BvQjIwc0U/edit

7 comments:

  1. Hey Dillon! I completely agree with your way of getting through this problem. I also went through this and it really took a blow to my self-confidence. Thankfully, some wise people I knew in high school immediately got me out of my "writer's depression" and now I'm able to snap myself out of it whenever it comes back around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dillon! I'm the exact same way when it comes to my writing! I spend more time questioning my work then writing the actual assignment. I usually just stress out with all of my questions until i can't possibly care anymore...I think I'll try out your method next time...i'm sure that it's probably more effective.(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dillon I can really relate to you in this post. I feel the exact same way. It's really hard to be yourself sometimes when you know that there is always going to be someone out there judging you. and that what you have to overcome at the end of the day, because there is ALWAYS going to be that person in your life. So it's better to just not care and just be you. As long as you are happy and express yourself than no one else's opinions should matter. Good post this week, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your link, and this blog post entirely. I see where you are going with this and i wish that you would expand a little bit more on the quote "I've found the most effective way for me to get over that feeling is to just write the way that feels natural to myself." it starts up those little thinking engines in your brain and helps you to control some of your toughs, the good the bad and the ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we came back to the class and shifted in the groups, i saw things that i did not see when i read it alone. I thought it was cool to see how everyone interpreted the story and to see what they got out of it. I enjoy analyzing stories to see what the author really wanted people to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always question papers I've written, even after I've turned them in. I just always wonder if there was anything I could've changed to back it better, or if I sound completely stupid. I think it's difficult to feel completely comfortable with writing unless it's only for you, but I think the approach you've taken to your writing is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice balance point here you have taken from Barry... allowing yourself to write and create and at some point thinking about your audience and purpose

    ReplyDelete